Thursday, Nov. 28
• The Annual Community Thanksgiving Feeding will be held at The Morgan County High School on Thanksgiving Day from 10am until 1pm. If there is anyone that would like a meal, please call 706/342/4260 by November 25th. You can also dine in at the High School as well.
Friday, Nov. 29
• Bow Wow Breakfast, The Humane Society of Morgan County, at The Lions Club from 7-11am. Helping heal the hurt of injured and sick animals. Tickets are $10.00. Call 706-343-9977.
Saturday, Nov. 30
• Newborn Dixie Jubilee at the Historic School House at 4326 Hwy. 142, Newborn. Special gospel show featuring Logan Smith, the Dixie Gentlemen and other guest. Doors open at 5 p.m. and the show runs 6-9 p.m. Admission is free, so come out and enjoy some great gospel music. Where there’s Smoke BBQ, we’ll be there. For more information call Steve Biggers, 770-786-8662.
• Firewise “Communities Compatible with Nature” Colunteer event, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hard Labor Creek State Park. Join Georgia Forestry Commission State Parks Staff, and Friends of Hard Labor Creek State Park for this “service learning” day at Camp Rutledge. Built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps, Camp Rutledge is a Georgia treasure. To help protect these buildings, we are asking for help in making the camp more “fire wise.” We will need help raking and blowing debris from around the buildings and trimming brush and branches away from the many old cabins in this area/ Register in advance. Cost: $5 parking. Call 706-557-3001.
• OLLI@UGA, Madison Lecture: “The Amorphous Lincoln” by Mr. Steve Schaefer, Uncle Remus Regional Library System Director and Abraham Lincoln scholar The Cultural Center is pleased to expand educational programming through thought-provoking lectures presented by OLLI@UGA,Madison. Join us for the third lecture in this Series, on Wednesday, November 30th at 2:45 in the Cultural Center Auditorium, “The Amorphous Lincoln.” How the memory of Abraham Lincoln has changed from 1865 to today, morphing to fit the times, as people view history through present day interpretations. This lecture series, available to adults ages 50 and up, have no prerequisites, no exams, no grades. A special first-year OLLI membership rate of $25 is required, and each lecture is $10. To join OLLI for this first year special and to order tickets, call 706-542-7715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, Dec. 1
• Botanical Nativity Art Exhibit, at the Madison Museum of Fine Arts. For more information call 706-485-4530 or visit www.mmofa.org.
• Buckhead Tree Lighiting 6:00 p.m. at Buckhead Town Park. Choirs. local singers, snacks, and hot chocolate, as well as Santa and Mrs. Claus, will be on hand for this festive occasion.
Monday, Dec. 2
• Young Life Club meeting, 7:27 p.m. at the Young Life Barn.
Tuesday, Dec. 3
• Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Holiday Concert at MMCC – 8pm – 706-342-4743
Wednesday, Dec. 4
• Storyteller Miss Renee at the Morgan County Library beginning at 9:50 a.m. Call 706-342-1206 for more information.
• Madison First United Methodist Church invites all children to Christmas Craft Day with our Children’s Minister, Rev. Debbie Britt, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. in the Wesley building. Please register your child by December 4th by calling 706-342-3325.
Thursday, Dec. 5
• Hospital Auxiliary Love Light Tree Reception @ Heritage Hall 5:30 706-342-4644
• 30th Annual Town & Country Holiday Tour of Homes – Chamber of Commerce 706-342-4454
• The Morgan County Library will have a navigator for Affordable Health Insurance at the library on Dec. 5 at 6 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 7
• Winter Wonder Hike on Brantley Nature Trail 1-4 p.m. at Hard Labor Creek State Park. Join a park ranger on this winter hike on the Brantley Horse Trail. This five-mile guided hike is the perfect winter outing and a cure for the winter duldrums. Take a camera to record the scenery and a light lunch to enjoy on the way. This hike is recommended for children over 10 years old and adults that are in good walking shape. Meet at the Park Office/Trading Post. Cost is $5 plus $5 parking. For more information, call 706-557-3001
• Constellations by Carriage at Hard Labor Creek State Park from 7-8 p.m. and 8-9 p.m Hard Labor Creek is a great place for star-gazing. Relax on this guided carriage ride by the beach. Meet at the Park Office/Trading Post. Call 706-557-3001 to pre-register, as space is limited. $5 plus $5 parking.
• St Paul AMEwill host a chili lunch with all the fixings from 11am-3pm. Cost is $6.00. Located at 847 N Fifth St. Friday, Dec. 13
• Full Moon Carriage Rides at Hard Labor Creek State Park from 7-8 p.m. and 8-9 p.m. The meeting place will be the beach parking lot. $5 plus $5 for parking. For information, call 706-557-3001
• Free Community Holiday Concert at the Madison Morgan Cultural Center at 7 p.m. For more information, call 706-342-4743.
Saturday, Dec. 14
• Holiday Parade followed by Caroling By Candlelight at Town Park – MMS 706-342-1251
• Full Moon Carriage Rides at Hard Labor Creed State Park from 7-8 p.m. and 8-9 p.m. The meeting place will be the beach parking lot. $5 plus $5 for parking. For information, call 706-557-3001
• Geminid Meteor Shower “The Heavens’ Last Hurrah of 2013” at Hard Labor Creek State Park from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.. Bring a lawn chair, a thermos of your favorite warm drink, and a cozy blanket, as you enjoy some of winter’s best constellations. Pre-registration is required. Meet at the beach parking lot. $5 plus $5 for parking. For more information, call 706-557-3001
• Christmas Rush Classic Road Race 5K, 8K & 1 Mile Fun Run. For more information, call Rusty Ewing at 706-342-4900 x21.
• Christmas in Stepback, Ga., 11:00am-4:00pm, and walk through the community built to provide an opportunity for one to step back in time and see how people lived over 100 years ago. Self tour the 20 buildings which include general store, church, school, barns, grist mills, blacksmith shop, syrup mill, and cabins. All buildings are furnished with authentic goods and antiques and will be decorated as they would have been in the early 1900s. Find a “moonshine” still as you walk along the creek, old farm equipment many remember using, and a cemetery in a serene setting. There is no entry fee, and complimentary hot chocolate will be provided for visitors. Stepback, Ga. is located approximately 4 miles south of Eatonton off of 441 south at 176A Dennis Station Rd. (Follow the signs)
Fridayday, Dec. 20
• “Winter Solstice Wagon Ride” 7-8 P.M., 8-9 P.M., Saturday, December 21, 8-9 P.M. Celebrate the shortest day of the year with us on this night time wagon ride. We will talk about winter constellations, and take a tour through some open areas for good sky gazing. Bring warm clothes and a blanket, and relax during this holiday time of year. $5 plus $5 parking. 706-557-3001.
Saturday, Dec. 21
• Atlanta Audubon Beginners Bird Walk at Hard Labor Creek State Park from 2-4 p.m. The field trip is designed for anyone interested in learning more about birds, habitats critical to some species and organizations like the Audubon Society, which are dedicated to bird conservation. Meet at the Park Office/Trading Post. Cost: $5 parking. Call 706-557-3001 for more information.
• Saturnalia Campfire Celebration at Hard Labor Creek State Park from 7-8 p.m. Saturnalia was a festival held by the ancient Romans that honored “Saturn.” Celebrated during winter’s shortening of days, it was a time of celebration, stories, and fun. Enjoy S’mores, stories of the ancient festival, and winter tales. $5 parking. Call 706-557-3001 for more information.
Wednesday, January 8
• Storyteller Miss Renee @ Morgan Co. Library 9:50am – 706-342-1206 Monday, January 13
• ‘Peter Pan’ Student Series @ MMCC – 9am & 1pm – 706-342-4743