“Prowl H2O: Now labeled in Forage Bermuda grass”
By: Bobby Smith
For many years, high-quality Bermuda grass hay producers have needed a pre-emergence herbicide for the control of crabgrass, goose grass, Texas panicum, sandbur and other summer annual grasses. BASF announced Jan. 21, 2010 that Prowl H2O is now labeled for use on forage Bermuda grass.
Prowl H2O has been used for years for annual grass control in numerous row crops such as cotton and soybeans. The active ingredient in Prowl H2O, pendimethalin, is also used under different trade names for a similar purpose in turfgrasses and ornamentals.
This new use for Prowl H2O will be shown on a supplemental label. Over the next few days or weeks BASF will be obtaining state registrations for Prowl H2O. The supplemental label will then be posted at www.cdms.net .
At this time Prowl H2O will be labeled for applications to only dormant Bermuda grass. Applications to tall fescue, bahiagrass and other perennial forage grasses are currently not labeled. However, it is expected that these forage grasses will eventually be added to the label.
Pertinent remarks and precautions are as follows:
1. Prowl H2O may be applied to forage Bermuda grass grown for hay or pastures.
2. Apply Prowl H2O to established Bermuda grass when in winter dormancy in the late winter and early spring months. In most areas of Georgia this time period would be February through early March.
3. Crabgrass begins to germinate when soil temperatures average 55 F. Prowl H2O must be applied before crabgrass or other annual grasses germinate.
4. Recommended rates of Prowl H2O range from 1.1 to 4.2 quarts per acre. Research conducted in Georgia has shown that usually 2.0 to 3.0 lbs. ai/acre (2.1 to 3.2 quarts per acre) is needed for season-long annual grass control.
5. Prowl H2O may be applied in two split applications. In forage Bermuda grass the second application must be made prior to spring greenup. See the Prowl H2O label for additional information on split applications.
6. Prowl H2O may be tank-mixed with other herbicides registered for use on forage Bermuda grass,
7. Prowl H2O should not be applied less than 45 days prior to Bermuda grass hay harvest.
8. Do not graze Prowl H2O treated Bermuda grass until 60 days after application.
For use of Prowl H20 and other herbicide information contact your local UGA Cooperative Extension office of call 1(800)ASK-UGA1 or 1(800) 275-8421.